How to Auto Shutdown Windows 10?
Windows 10 is an operating system developed by Microsoft and was globally released in 2015. It is the successor to Windows 8.1. Windows 10 is familiar and easy to use. Before moving forward with this topic, we need to understand why we require a system to shut down. Many users don’t prefer shutting down their computers. The reason for doing this depends on the preference and hobbies of a system user. Slow booting time, continuing the unfinished work/project, a large number of data downloads, and the most annoying feature of the new generation of Windows operating system- automatic windows update are some of the common reasons that compel users to keep their system running.
But long hours of continuous system usage might cause a decline in the system performance. And that is why you need to shut down and let your system cool off.
Thus Windows 10 auto shutdown trick comes into play and it will auto-shutdown your system after a specified time.
How to Auto Shutdown Windows 10?
Auto shutdown using Run
A simple way to shut down your system after a specified time is through the Run dialog. You just need to execute a simple command and the system will automatically shut down as per the given instructions. Follow the simple steps to complete the process.
- Press Win + R keys to open the Run dialog.
- Type the command shutdown -s -t 600(Here shutdown is the function, -s is start, -t is time, and the last number is the countdown time in seconds).
- Press Enter/Click OK to execute the command.
Your windows system will automatically shut down after 600 seconds.
Note- if you want to cancel the shutdown command, open the Run dialog and execute the shutdown -a command.
Auto Shutdown Using CMD
Using command prompt(CMD) is done in the same way as it is done in the Run dialogue.
- Follow the steps to complete the auto-shutdown using CMD.
- Open the command prompt on your windows.
- Type the command shutdown -s -t 600.
- Press Enter to execute the command
Your windows system will notify you of the successful execution of the auto-shutdown command.
Note- if you want to cancel the shutdown command, open the command prompt(CMD) and execute the shutdown -a command.
Auto Shutdown Using Task Scheduler
Another way to auto shutdown your system is to use the inbuilt Task scheduler. You can arrange scripts and functions in the task scheduler to be executed at a specific point in time or at any event. Using task scheduler to auto shutdown window 10 is easy and it can be done in a few clicks.
- Go to the start menu and open the task scheduler.
- To create a new task, click on “create basic task”
- Enter the name and description of the task you want to create.
- Select the interval of time to trigger the task.
- In the Action, section selects the Start a program option and click next.
- Select the shutdown.exe file from “C: windows System32”
- Input -s -t 6000 in Arguments box and click next.
- To finish the task, click finish.
Auto Shutdown Using Windows Shutdown Assistant
Windows Shutdown Assistant is software that helps to shut down your system automatically at the specified time. Additionally, it can shut down your system on particular occasions like when your system is on standby, or when your system is running on low power.
To auto-shutdown, your system using the Windows Shutdown Assistant just follow the below step.
- Open the Windows Shutdown Assistant.
- Specify/choose the time when to trigger the event under “Step 1: Trigger“.
- Select the Shutdown option from the “Action” menu.
- Finish the task by clicking on the Start button or simply press Enter.
Windows Shutdown Assistant can also execute various other automated tasks like turning on Screen Saver(Monitor), opening a web page, run an application and much more.
Auto Shutdown Using Software
A lot of Auto Shutdown software can be found on the market. But selecting software that is both reliable and easy to use is difficult. Thus you need to be careful to select the best software.
Wise Auto Shutdown is one example of a good Auto Shutdown software. It takes fewer CPU resources and has a good user interface. Other than Auto shutdown it also supports other functions like Auto restart, Auto sleep, and Auto logoff.
- Download the software from the official website and install it on your system.
- Open the software installed on your system.
- Select the Shutdown task.
- Specify the time to auto-shutdown your system.
There are various ways to auto shut down your windows system. The methods mentioned in this article are very simple. Just follow the given steps and you can easily auto shutdown your computer. If you can understand some techie things, you can follow the Run/CMD method to shut down, and if you are not feeling comfortable with commands, then you can use third-party software like the Windows shutdown assistant, Wise Auto Shutdown .etc. Closing the lip of your laptop screen puts pressure on the battery in the long run. To keep your computer performance from declining shutdown is a must at appropriate intervals.