Understanding the application of Frame Per seconds (FPS) is of paramount importance to video creators. The quality and the clarity of the video are the two crucial factors responsible for engaging the audience. A video is made of a series of images or frames that, when viewed in a flow at a particular frame rate/FPS, appear in motion. This explains why videos are played frame by frame. While watching a tutorial video or product reviews video you need to pause it at some point to take the screenshot. YouTube has two features that, most of the time, meets the requirement to watch a video frame by frame.
- The default frame rate of 5 seconds forward and backward. To do so, you need to press the [<] and [>] keys on your keyboard. While using the app you need to double-tap on the left and right sides of the screen respectively.
- The Playback speed option in settings.
In case these two ways aren’t enough to address your problem while watching a YouTube video frame by frame then there are various external sites and video players available.
2 ways to Advance YouTube Videos Frame by Frame
1. Watch YouTube video frame by frame using an external site
On YouTube, it depends on how the video was encoded. Not every video could be played frame by frame using keyboard shortcuts (forward key and backward key).
Using an external site works well enough to play YouTube video frame by frame.
Watchframebyframe.com and Anilyzer provide free service to users for watching videos frame by frame and also in slow motion.
Follow these steps to play YouTube videos frame by frame on Anilyzer
- Open YouTube from your web browser. Play your desired video and copy the URL.
- Visit any of the external sites mentioned above.
- Paste the URL in the “ENTER VIDEO URL” box.
- Click on the “watch video” button.
- Below the video, there are the “previous frame” button, the “Next frame” button, and three-speed buttons of 0.25, 0.50, 0.75, and 1.00.
Similar steps are to be followed for the first website. But here you can choose the number of frames and FPS. The “Forward” and “backward” buttons are also available.
2. Play YouTube videos Frame by Frame using VLC media player.
VLC is a free multimedia player and also supports DVDs, Audio CDs, VCDs, and other streaming protocols.
The VLC media player is suitable for Windows, Windows 64bit, Windows ARM 64, macOS, macOS ( Apple Silicon), Linux, Android, and many other systems. Follow these steps to watch YouTube videos frame by frame using VLC
Follow these steps to watch YouTube videos frame by frame using VLC
- Copy the YouTube video link
- Open VLC media player
- Click on Media and choose the “Open network Stream…” option from the menu.
- Paste the video link in the network URL field.
- Click on the “play” button
- Click on VLC’s frame by frame hotkey or press on the E key on your keyboard to play the YouTube video frame by frame. Or enable “Advanced Controls” from View and click the “frame by frame” button.
While using VLC, there’s no need to press the frame by frame hotkey every time to watch the next frame. Once you do the settings the YouTube video will start playing frame by frame automatically.
YouTube’s inbuilt features and external sites like Anilyzer work wonderfully while playing YouTube video frame by frame.
If you’re a video editor then VLC media player can prove to be a good pick.